This Thanksgiving, I’m giving thanks for my younger brother, who always manages to make me laugh. Below is a scan of a quiz he took during his first year at NYU. He hadn’t been to the class in a few days and showed up on the day of a pop quiz. Rather than bowing out and taking the resulting zero, he stayed and took the quiz. His wise ass answers don’t bother to hide the fact that he was unprepared. I’ve had this scan for about 9 years now. This is one of my favorite things and is, perhaps, one of the best ways for me to describe my brother. This is an introduction to my brother’s sarcastic humor for people who have not met him.
I still laugh every time I see this quiz.
I’ve been on the hunt for a good, yet pretty camera bag recently. This has, sadly, become a figurative hunt, because I can’t afford to go buy milk right now, let alone drop more than $100 on a camera bag – I guess a little wishful thinking never really hurt anyone… much.
I’m really in love with these gorgeous Ephiphanie bags by Maile Wilson. They’re pretty much exactly what I’d want in a camera bag. Maybe someday, I’ll be able to afford one… and by then, she’ll have created 30 more that I want. Hah.
Anyway, from stumbling across the Epiphanie site, I also stumbled across Maile’s personal blog which had an entry of her “life list,” which I suppose could also be called a “Things To Do Before I Die” list. Somewhere in my head, I have one of those and I thought it’d be kind of cool to jot it down somewhere and (hopefully) be able to come back and tick things off as the years go by. I’ve decided to include things I’ve already done, because quite simply, the list has been in my head for years and I feel it’d be short changing it somehow if I didn’t include the fact that I’ve actually accomplished some of the things that would have been on it either way. Also to note – I’m pretty sure that a large percentage of this list will be things involving travel and photography. That said, here we go:
- Live in Venice, Italy for a significant amount of time
- Visit Venice Italy and see the flooding of St. Mark’s Square
- Photograph Bhutan and its people
- Photograph the Pyramids and the markets of Egypt
Photograph the Neon Graveyard in Las Vegas as of May, 2012! (See the photos at ThatLalaGirl.com!)
- Own a Canon 5D Mark II
- Learn to scuba dive
- Cage dive
- Cage dive with Great White Sharks
- Go on a photo expedition to Svalbard
- See the Moai at Ahu Tongariki on Easter Island
- Have dinner at Babbo in New York City as of September 5, 2011!
- Hug Bono
- See U2 live in an outdoor stadium
- Photograph the Red Hook Grain Terminal from the inside
Photograph the morgue in Building 23 of Pilgrim State Pysch
- Have a photograph featured in a gallery exhibition as of September 21, 2010!
- Have my own gallery exhibition
- Have a photo published in a book
- Get paid to have a photo(s) published in a book
- See Hieronymus Bosch’s “The Garden of Earthly Delights” at Museo del Prado
See René Magritte’s “The Treachery of Images” at LACMA as of May, 2012! (See the photos on Flickr!)
- See Leonardo da Vinci’s “Last Supper” at Convent of Sta. Maria delle Grazie
- See Pablo Picasso’s “Guernica” at Museo Reina Sofia
- See Raphael’s “School of Athens” at The Vatican
- Photograph Highgate Cemetery in England
- Photograph Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa as of September 26, 2010!
- Visit Cinque Terre as of September 26, 2010!
- Learn how to make Soup Dumplings (and successfully make them)
- Get a tattoo
- Learn to speak Italian fluently
- Learn to speak Spanish fluently
- Be 100% financially secure
- Do a photoshoot with my mom and grandma
- Read every book I’ve acquired and never read
- Watch every film I’ve acquired and never watched
- Get a Dr. Fish pedicure in South Korea
- Go to Carnival in Venice
- Go to Carnival in Rio
- Own a Siberian Husky
- See the Northern Lights
- Walk in 4-inch heels without being terrified of killing myself or breaking an ankle
- Develop my own photos in a darkroom again done in my kitchen sink – totally counts!
- Visit the Great Wall of China
- Visit the Taj Mahal
- Learn to dance
Photograph the Fushimi Inari Taisha in Kyoto as of November, 2017! See the photos!
Photograph the Itsukushima Shrine in Itsukushima as of November, 2017! See the photos!
- Photograph Saint Basil’s Cathedral in The Red Square
- Scuba dive in Great Barrier Reef
- Visit Israel
- Hold a baby orangutan
- Ride an elephant
- Pet a tiger
- Visit Thailand
Take a road trip through the American Southwest Done, in part, December 2016! See the photos!
Visit South America Done, as of February 2013 (Buenos Aires & Uruguay! – See the photos on Flickr!)
Adopt a pet and give it a good life Done, as of March 28, 2016! Follow @alittlepretzel on Instagram!
- Own a Canon 85mm f1.2L II
- Own a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L Lens
- Have a photo studio of my own
- Publish a book of photographs
- Cruise the Arctic
- Make my own pasta as of September 28, 2010!
- Eat paella in Barcelona
- Photograph the cemeteries of New Orleans
Visit my friends in California Half done (visited Ashlyn in LA) as of May, 2012! (See the photos on Flickr!)
- Own a Zero Image Wooden Pinhole Camera
- See Eddie Izzard perform live
Visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando Done as of December, 2011 (See the photos on Flickr!)
- Do something that would have made my grandpa really happy
- Own a Mac desktop As of January 5, 2011!!!
- Fully understand ActionScript
- Fully understand PHP
- See an opera at La Scala
- Learn to ski
Knit a hat
- Own my own business
- Visit Santorini
Visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC Done as of January 2013! See the photos!
- Make my own Ice Cream
- Visit Machu Picchu
- Stay at a resort where I can literally jump into the ocean from my room
- Learn to speak Hebrew fluently
Photograph my grandmother and her sister My Auntie Ann passed away before I had a chance to do this.
- Visit Cuba
- Set foot on all seven continents (Africa, Antarctica,
Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, South America)
- Be successful/diligent as a blogger (again)
- Learn how to properly use my Holga and get good results from it and developed the photos myself!
- Find out the name of the book my grandmother used to read to me when I was little (the one with the girls on the swings in the upper corner of the page!)
- Go in a deep sea diving vessel and see the ocean floor
- Have my own vegetable garden
- Learn to make perfect macarons
- Visit France (again)
- Drive a Lamborghini
- Go on an Alaskan cruise
- Visit Auschwitz
- Own my own home
- Accomplish at least half the things on this list